Good Finishes Third at Golf Regionals, Qualifies for State Championship Match

Back to Article
Back to Article

Freddy Stanley, Chief Editor

Jordan High School boys golf star Clayson Good brought home third place today at the North Carolina High School Boys Golf Mideast Regionals. The regional competition was held at 12 Oaks Country Club in Holly Springs, NC, and featured 55 of the best high school golfers in the region. Good, the Queens University golf commit, shot a 73, tying him for third place overall. Good finished tied for first among Tri-6 Conference golfers on the day. His third place finish was good enough to earn him a spot in the State Championship match next week.

This will be Good’s second State Championship match appearance, and we will look to use his experience and his good form as of late to bring a championship back to Jordan. “If I putt better I truly think I can win states”, said Good when asked what he is looking to improve on for next week’s match, “I’m hitting the ball really well, so if my short game shapes up for states I could bring home a trophy.”

Although Good is only 17 years old, he claims he is unphased by the pressure of a match as big as a state championship. “I have played in so many tournaments over the last 5-6 years that nerves don’t really get to me anymore.” The State Championship Match will feature 84 of the state’s top class 4A high school golfers. Although he won’t enter the competition as the odds on favorite, if Good continues to improve on his recent play, he will sure be in the running to bring a state championship back to Jordan.

The 4A State Championship match will be held at Pinehurst No. 8, at the historic Pinehurst Country Club in Pinehurst, North Carolina on May 13th. Good will tee off at 7:40 am.