Baseball Completes Thrilling Comeback and Keeps Season Alive

picture+by+John+Brandenburg+
Back to Article
Back to Article

picture by John Brandenburg

picture by John Brandenburg

picture by John Brandenburg

picture by John Brandenburg

Sean Michaels, Sports Editor

The Jordan baseball team won a 5-4 thriller in Thursday night to advance to the 3rd round of the state playoffs. The second seeded fended off elimination after some late game heroics by Ben Miller and some smart base running. The come from behind win over Millbrook kept the Falcons season and state championship hopes alive.

Cameron Carrow’s heads up base running gave the falcons an early 1-0 lead after the first inning. Millbrook’s standout sophomore Alec DeMartino tied the game with a solo homer to left 4th. The Wildcats added one more in the 4th and increased their lead to 4-1 in the 5th by taking advantage of Jordan errors.

Left Fielder Jeriah Wilburn sparked the Falcon comeback with a lead off double in the bottom of the 5th. Carrow then got hit by a pitch giving Davidson commit Ryan Wilson a crucial opportunity to cut the lead. Wilson took advantage of the situation, with an RBI double to score 2 and cut Millbrook’s lead to 1. Junior Pitcher Matthew Khan held Millbrook scoreless through the 6th and 7th.

Down 4-3 in the bottom of the 7th, Jordan was in need of heroics to keep their season alive. Senior Ben Miller came up with 2 outs and the tying run only 90 feet away. A hit would score Carrow from 3rd and send the game to extras, while an out would end the Falcon’s season along with the Miller’s high school career. Miller singled to left scoring Carrow and sending the game to extras. When asked about his clutch single Miller said “I wouldn’t rather have anyone up at the plate beside me. That’s the reason you play and I’m glad I can be that guy for my team.”

After Khan blanked the wildcats in the 8th, a single run would win the game for the Falcons. An error allowed Ryan Hall onto first and prompted Coach Monastero to pinch run speedster CJ Robinson for Hall. Robinson’s heads up baserunning and speed allowed him capitalize off Millbrook’s errors advancing him to 3rd. Jeriah Wilburn then stepped in with 2 outs and the winning run just 90 feet away. On the first pitch, Wilburn watched as a wild pitch went flying by the catcher and smashed into the backstop allowing Robinson to score and secure a birth into the 3rd round of the state playoffs..

The Falcons will look to further their playoff run Tuesday night at 7 when they host Garner in the 3rd round if the playoffs.