Baseball Moves On to the Quarter-Finals

Luke Hutchinson's Shutout vs Gardner Magnet Leads Falcons to the State Quarter Finals

Freddy Stanley, Chief Editor

The Jordan High School baseball team blew past Gardner Magnet 4-0 on Tuesday night in the third round of the playoffs, earning them a spot in the State Championship Quarter-Final. The Falcons were lead on the night by junior pitcher Luke Hutchinson. Hutchinson pitched the first 6 innings on the mound for the Falcons holding Gardner Magnet scoreless. Senior Ben Miller entered the game in the seventh inning to finish off what Hutchinson had started to complete the shutout for the Falcons.

Tuesday night’s game showcased a defensive battle between the two pitchers on the mound. Jordan was able to jump to an early 3-0 lead in the first inning, capitalizing on the poor performance of Gardner Magnet pitcher Dylan Wheeler. After the first inning, and the rest of the game told a different story. Gardner Magnet brought in experienced pitcher and highly touted football recruit Nolan McLean into the game to start the second inning. McLean was able to stop the bleeding for Gardner Magnet, only giving up a single run the rest of the game. The early push, and the impressive defensive effort throughout the game by Jordan was enough to see the Falcons through to a comfortable victory.

The Falcons were led at bat once again by Davidson commit, junior Ryan Wilson. Wilson was the only member of the Falcons line up to get multiple hits on the night. Wilson ended the night with three at bats, two hits, one RBI, one run, and a stolen base.

The Falcons will play at home against Corinth Holders on Friday, May 17th, at 7 pm in the fourth round of the playoffs. The winner will move on the the NCHSAA 4A State Championship Semi-Finals. The Falcons already played Corinth Holders early in the season and beat them 2-0. The Falcons will hope to repeat their success on Friday night. The Falcons will be facing a very strong Corinth Holders team, who have only lost three of their last 20 games since losing to the Jordan in early March.

Jordan fans should be sure to come out and support the baseball team on Friday night, as they look to earn a spot in the State Championship Quarter-Finals. The Falcons are only three games away from the state championship that Jordan has been so desperately craving.