Falcons’ Choice Awards!

Freddy Stanley, Chief Editor

The 2018/19 school year was a fantastic year at Jordan High School. The school was able to do great things in athletics, academics, and the arts. Many sports teams won conference championships, the arts department celebrated award winners in theater, dance, and band, and many students accomplished great feats in the classroom. The Falcon Post would like to recognize a few select individuals and groups for their hard work and achievements at Jordan this year with the first-ever “Falcons’ Choice Awards.” Choose from a list of nominees in each category to vote for who you think is most deserving of each award. Be sure to read the descriptions of the groups and candidates in each category. The ballot can be found at the bottom.

Sports Team of the Year

Football – The football team won their first-ever Tri-6 Conference Championship this season, going 4-1 in conference play and 5-7 overall. They lost 26-25 off of a two-point conversion after time expired against Scotland High School to end their season in the playoffs. Quarterback Ben Miller broke the Jordan High School record for passing yards and touchdowns on the season, and coach Anthony Barbour continued to move the program in the right direction.

Boys Soccer – The boys soccer team started off the season as one of the hottest teams in the country. After their 4-0 start to the season and a Bull City Cup title, the boys were ranked #10 in the entire country by MaxPreps. The highlight of the season came on senior night when the boys knocked off the #2 team in the country–and eventual state champions–Green Hope on senior night. Senior forward Alex Wigger was also selected to the All-State and All-Mid Atlantic Region teams for his efforts this season.

Girls Basketball – The girls basketball team had a very impressive 2018/19 season. The girls ended the season with a Tri-6 Conference tournament championship and an overall record of 22-4. The Lady Falcons were consistently ranked in the top 10 in the state by both MaxPreps and HighSchoolOT throughout the season but unfortunately saw their playoff hopes come to an early end with a heartbreaking 55-54 loss to Pine Forest.

Boys Lacrosse – The Warbirds’ 2019 season was perhaps the best they have had in program history. The boys only lost one regular-season game, finishing the regular season with a record of 14-1. The Warbirds played their way to an easy 10-0 record in the conference season, crowning them Tri-6 Conference Champions. The boys lacrosse team also played two out-of-state opponents on the season, beating O’Fallon High School from Illinois and Franklin High School from Tennessee.

Girls Lacrosse – The 2019 girls lacrosse team truly had a historic season. The Lady Warbirds qualified for the state playoffs for the first time in program history and finished the season at 9-7, the first winning record in program history. The highlight of the season came on Senior Night when the girls knocked off Cary High School by a score of 19-4.

Baseball – The boys baseball team picked up their third straight conference championship in 2019 on their way to an overall record of 23-4. In the postseason, the Falcons advanced all the way to the state quarter-finals, the farthest they have gone in the last 24 years. Five members of the team were selected to the Tri-6 Conference team of the year for the Falcons. Senior Ben Miller was also awarded the Tri-6 Player of the Year award.  

Track and Field- Although track is an individual sport, the Jordan High School track and field team had many runners finish with fantastic seasons. This past weekend, the boys and girls track teams competed at the state championship meet. Top finishers included Lia Love, who finished 4th in the 100-meter dash and 5th in the 200 meters, Tahtaliana Jobel who finished 6th in the 400 meters, Chrystian Smith who finished 5th in the discus and 8th in the shot put, and Xavier Smith who finished 8th in the 200 meters. Overall, the team finished 19th in the state.

Male Athlete of the Year

Yasir Stroud- The senior lacrosse player finished the season with a team-high 50 goals and 39 assists and was a major factor in the Warbirds’ continued success.

Ben Miller – Jordan High School football’s all-time passing and touchdown record holder collected 3,221 yards through the air as well as 27 touchdowns this season. Miller also led the baseball team with a team-high 28 RBIs in 2019 and was named the Tri-6 Conference Baseball Player of the Year. Miller was also a starter on the basketball team.

Alex Wigger – The senior soccer player lead the team up front scoring 14 goals on the season. Wigger was selected to the Triangle-6 All-Conference team, the North Carolina 4A All-State team, and the Mid-Atlantic All-Region Team.

Clayson Good– The junior was the star of the men’s golf team this spring. Good finished second in the state at the golf State Championships, coming so close to bringing home the state title. His second-place finish was 14 places better than any other Tri-6-conference competitor.

Xavier Smith  – The freshman sprinter finished 8th in the state at the state championship meet in the 200-meter dash and was the fastest runner in the Tri-6 Conference in both the 100 and 200 meters.

DaVon Adams – The junior receiver and sprinter had 448 receiving yards and caught 4 touchdowns this football season. Adams also finished first in the Tri-6 Conference and 8th at the state championships in the 110-meter hurdles.

Female Athlete of the Year

Ellie Mayer– The junior lacrosse player set a Jordan High School record scoring 94 goals in a single season. Mayer’s 94 goals were enough to lead the Tri-6 Conference in scoring, and her total was the third-highest in the state.

Lia Love- The sophomore sprinter had a breakout year, finishing 4th in the 100 meters and 5th in the 200 meters at State Championship meet. Love also finished 1st in the 100 meters and second in the 200 meters at the Tri-6 Conference Championship meet.

Ashley Roberts – The junior basketball player scored 348 points this season which helped lead her team to a Tri-6 Conference Tournament Championship.

Kalaya Hall – The senior basketball player scored 359 points this season which helped lead her team to a Tri-6 Conference Tournament Championship in her final season for Jordan.

Tahtalina Jobel – The freshman sprinter started to heat up towards the end of the season. Jobel finished 6th in the 400 meters at the State Championship meet.

Alexis Walker – The junior swimmer finished first place in the Tri-6 Conference in both the 200 IM and the 100m Butterfly. At the State Championship meet, Walker finished 14th in the 200 IM and 18th in the 100m butterfly.

Game of the Year

Boys Soccer vs Green Hope –  The boys soccer team beat Green Hope in a 2-1 thriller on senior night. Green Hope ended the season ranked #2 in the country by MaxPreps, and went home with the state championship. But on that night, Jordan was the better team. The game was highlighted by goals from seniors Alex Wigger and Jeffery Depaz-Donis, and a penalty kick save by junior goalkeeper Freddy Stanley to keep the game at 2-1. Jordan was forced to play much of the second half with 10 men after a red card left them short-handed but still managed to come through with the win.

Baseball vs Millbrook –  The second round of the state playoffs saw Jordan square up against Millbrook High School. In a hard-fought game, the two teams battled all the way into extra innings. With their season on the line, the Falcons needed to find a way to win. In the bottom of the 8th inning, a wild pitch allowed junior CJ Robinson to steal home and send the Falcons to the next round of the playoffs.

Girls Lacrosse vs Cary – Late in the season, the girls lacrosse team needed a signature win to strengthen their case to go to their first-ever state playoffs. They found this win against Cary High School on Senior Night. The Falcons smashed Cary 19-4 with an emphatic win, securing their spot in the program’s first-ever playoffs.

Football vs Green Hope. – In order to win the Tri-6 Conference, the football team needed to travel to Green Hope and pick up a road win against their conference rivals. The Jordan Falcons edged out Green Hope 27-18 in the pouring rain to establish them as the front runners in the Tri-6. Despite the media’s claims about Jordan’s “poor defense,” the Jordan defense was able to ignore the criticism and rise to the occasion to get the win.

Boys Lacrosse vs Apex Friendship – The boys lacrosse team defeated Apex Friendship 12-10 in the first round of the state playoffs. Apex Friendship came at Jordan with all they had to offer, forcing many lead changes throughout the game. Late in the game, Jordan managed to go on a late scoring run and was able to hold off the comeback effort by Apex Friendship to win 12-10 and move on to the round of 16 against Apex High School.

Student of the Year

Esme Wheeler – Valedictorian of the class of 2019. Will attend Duke University next year.

Lorenzo Shaikewitz- Ranked second in the class of 2019. Will attend Caltech next year.

Chris Holiday- Scored a perfect score of 36 on the ACT as a junior.

Zach Raney –  Scored a 35 on the ACT and a 1570 on the SAT as a junior.

Abby Furman – Recipient of the Stamps Scholarship and will attend Wake Forest University next year.

Bethlehem Ferede- Recipient of the Benjamin N. Duke Scholarship, a full-ride scholarship for academic and civic achievement. Will attend Duke next year.

Voting has closed! Check back later tonight for results.