Falcons’ Choice Award Winners Announced

Freddy Stanley, Chief Editor

First off, we would like to thank everyone for voting and apologize for how long it took the results to be posted. The voting was set up in such a way that forced us to manually count every vote. I understand that most of you saw our live poll on the sidebar of the website, but the in-article ballot was set up differently and those ballots were not counted for us. Each ballot was sent individually to our email address, and we had to count all of the votes by hand. In total, 1830 ballots were submitted! We love the fact that so many of you decided to vote, and that some of you went the extra mile to vote many times. As you can imagine, it took a long time to count all of these ballots. But the results are finally in. Let’s meet your 2018/19 school year Falcons’ Choice Award Winners!

Sports Team of the Year: Girls Basketball

The Jordan High School girls basketball team has enjoyed a lot of success in recent seasons and the 2018/19 season was no different. The crowning achievement of the Falcons season was their Tri-6 Conference Tournament Championship win over Cary High School. The girls were able to outlast top-seeded Cary High School 67-54 to bring home the championship. With an overall record of 22-4, the team was undoubtedly one of the highlights of Jordan High School athletics this year, and it showed through voting that they were the fan-favorite. The girls picked up hundreds of votes on their way to winning the award.

Male Athlete of the Year: Ben Miller

Picture by John Brandenburg

It is very fitting that the three-sport star athlete takes home this award. Over his four years as a Falcon, Ben Miller has accomplished many impressive feats in each of the sports he has played. As a four-year starting quarterback on the football team, Miller now holds nearly every passing and scoring record in the Jordan football record book. As a senior, Miller passed for 3,221 yards, rushed for 529 yards, and had 32 total touchdowns. This season, Miller led the football team to a Tri-6 Conference Championship and a first-round home playoff game. On the baseball diamond, Miller continued to shine. Individually, Miller was named the Tri-6 Baseball Player of the Year, leading the Falcons in home runs and RBI’s. Miller helped lead the baseball team to a Tri-6 Conference Championship, and to the final eight of the State Playoffs.

Female Athlete of the Year: Ellie Mayer

As a member of the girls lacrosse team, junior Ellie Mayer had one of the most impressive single seasons the school has ever seen. Mayer blew away the Jordan High School record for most goals in a season with 92 goals. Her 92 goals were far and away enough to make her the leading scorer in the conference, besting the second-leading scorer in the conference by a staggering 41 goals. Mayer had more goals per game than any other player in all of North Carolina, scoring seven a game. Mayer’s seven goals per game made her the fourth-highest scorer per game in the entire nation. With the help of Mayer’s scoring, the Lady Warbirds qualified for the state playoffs for the first time program history this season. Although she is only a junior, Mayer has committed to play college lacrosse at Bucknell.

Game of the Year: Girls Basketball vs. Cary High School

The Jordan High School girls basketball team squared off against Cary High School on February 22nd for the Tri-6 Conference Tournament Championship Game. Although Jordan entered the game with one of the most impressive records in the state, the Falcons were not the favorites. Cary went undefeated in conference play in the regular season, already knocking off the Falcons twice earlier that year. Even though the Falcons had a tough opponent facing them, they would not back down. The Falcons went down early but kept the game close, finishing out the first quarter down 15-13. By halftime, Jordan was able to go on a run to grab a seven-point lead, up 32-25 at the break. Jordan refused the relinquish the lead for the rest of the game. The Falcons ended up winning 67-54, taking home the Tri-6 Conference Tournament Championship title. The Falcons were led by senior Kalaya Hall, who scored a team-high 22 points on the night. On the boards, Ashley Roberts came up with a clutch 8 rebounds to help secure the victory for the Falcons.

Coach of the Year: Michael Ricucci

Retrieved from @MRicucci19

Coach Ricucci led the boys lacrosse team to the most impressive season in program history. The Warbirds achieved a perfect 10-0 conference record on their way to the Tri-6 Conference Championship. Ricucci was named Tri-6 Conference Coach of the Year. The Warbirds were also 2-0 against out of state opposition, defeating O’Fallon High School (IL) and Franklin High School (TN). Their overall record of 15-2 was enough to make the Falcons the one seed in the state playoffs.

Student of the Year: Esme Wheeler

Esme Wheeler was the valedictorian of the class of 2019, earning straight A’s all throughout high school while taking many challenging AP courses.  At Jordan, Esme was a member of the National Honor Society, the tennis team, Science Olympiad Club, and much more. Esme will be attending Harvard University next year.

Teacher of the Year: Katherine Saveliff

Photo taken from JHS NHS website

In a very tight race, Katherine Saveliff is your Falcons’ Choice Awards Teacher of the Year! The 2018/19 school year was Saveliff’s fourth at Jordan. Teaching Math 2 and AP Statistics, Saveliff always goes above and beyond to make sure every student has the resources they need to succeed, and that no student is left behind. In her three previous years teaching AP Statistics at Jordan, the percentage of students who got a five on the AP exam in her classes has risen each year. Saveliff was able to win a close race to win the awards, barely edging out Mr. McDonald and Mr. Miller for the title.

Performer of the Year: Lily Vance

Lily Vance has been one of the stars of the Jordan High School Theater Program since she was a freshman. Vance starred in two main stage musicals this year, playing the baker’s wife in Into the Woods and Tracy Turnblad in Hairspray. Her portrayal of Tracy was enough to qualify her for the top 20 in the Triangle Rising Star Awards. Lily Vance will be attending the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill next year where she will study opera.

Musician of the Year: Breadkidd

2019 was a breakout year for Breadkidd. The Jordan High School senior dropped his first single “Real Mad” and his first album “SuperStar” earlier this year. On Spotify, Breadkidd is clocking in at around 1,862 monthly listeners, and that number is only going to go up. Jordan High School students should keep an eye on Breadkidd, for big things may be coming in the near future.

The entire Falcon Post Staff would like to congratulate all of the nominees and award winners and thank everyone who voted. There were many close races and many deserving winners in every category. We can only hope that the 2019/20 school year can be as good as the 2018/19 school year. Although the Falcon Post was created near the end of the year, we were glad to be a part of it. Be sure to keep reading the Falcon Post throughout the summer. Although content may be sparse, we will still be posting stories. The last few months have been a trial period of the Falcon Post, and to say the least we are thrilled with what it has become–but we are nowhere close to done growing. The 2019/20 school year will see many more stories being posted at a faster rate from even more writers. The Falcon Post will look to continue to develop our video production portion of our website and have the goal of developing a mobile app. If you will be attending Jordan this upcoming year, we’d love to have you be a part of the team. Shoot us an email at [email protected], follow us on Instagram @falconpostjhs, and make sure to look out for announcements about club meetings next year if you are interested. We can’t wait to get started next year to continue to grow the Falcon Post.