Jordan vs Durham Academy : More Than Just a Soccer Game

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sean Michaels, Sports Editor

Durham Academy and Jordan are two schools only separated by only 4.3 miles but yet separated by so much more. One is a public school with 42% of students on free and reduced lunch, where all sports programs are forced to work hard and fundraise for essential items for their respective programs; the other a private school costing high school students almost $30,000 annually to attend which just signed a lucrative exclusive deal with Nike. This Friday when the Jordan soccer team steps on Alumni Field to take on Durham Academy it will be for more than a non-conference regular-season game.

All offseason, multiple returning players pleaded coaches to schedule Durham Academy, and the game couldn’t have been scheduled any better. The Falcons have so far had an up-and-down year and could use a big road win to boost confidence and morale before they start conference play in a few weeks. This Friday night under the lights, the Falcons are prepared to deliver one a big-time performance.

Senior Dylan Bristow’s motivation is driven by revenge. “I want to do to them what they did 2 years ago to us. It was an embarrassing loss and I wasn’t even on varsity at the time,” Bristow said when asked about his inspiration for Friday’s game. “Their obnoxious celebrating after they won just motivates me and the rest of the team, even more, to get a win this Friday.” After suffering a humiliating 2-0 loss in 2017 at Baringer Field, the Falcons would love to return the favor and assert their dominance at Durham Academy. The Cavaliers boast an incredible student section that is rumored to have prepared various taunting chants for Friday night’s contest in an attempt to rattle the Falcons.

This game means more than one might expect to so many players, and perhaps none more than senior captain and starting goalie, Freddy Stanley. When asked why the game means so much to him, Stanley responded, “I went to Duke School and our biggest rival was Durham Academy, so I’ve had the rivalry instilled in me from a young age.” Stanley has also grown up playing club soccer at Triangle United with various members of the Durham Academy team and in his senior year wants to get a statement win in a game where bragging rights are definitely on the line.

Jordan comes in with a chip on their shoulder being the public school against a top private school. The Falcons are using the financial discrepancy as motivation to prove that money can buy a lot of things, but not a win Friday night. “Everything at Durham Academy might be nicer and better, and that is out of our control,” Stanley says, “but the one thing we can control is making sure they don’t have a better soccer team.” The Falcons are motivated for a multitude of reasons, all of which should make for an exciting 80 minute battle this Friday night at 6. Jordan students are encouraged to make the short drive to Durham Academy to cheer on their Falcons to victory over their bitter rivals.