Boys Soccer Wins Two Straight, Moves to 2-1 in Conference Play

Back to Article
Back to Article

picture taken by Emma Tobin

picture taken by Emma Tobin

Emma Tobin

picture taken by Emma Tobin

Emma Tobin

Emma Tobin

picture taken by Emma Tobin

Freddy Stanley, Chief Editor

The Jordan High School boys soccer team has gotten off to a strong start in conference play this season. After a non-conference campaign filled with ups and downs, the Falcons are seemingly back on track. Following a loss on the road to a strong Panther Creek side, the Falcons have pulled back two away wins in a row against conference opponents.

The first of these two wins came against cross-town rival Hillside. The Falcons dominated the game on their way to shut out the Hornets and win 3-0. Senior midfielder Junior Roque was able to strike early from a free kick, and junior Aidan Clark added another to make the score 2-0 by halftime. Near the end of a slow second half, senior Alex Mulet slid a third goal past the Hillside goalkeeper to put the game out of reach.

The Falcons then traveled to Green Level High School for the first time in program history to face a young but talented Gators team. Yet again, the Falcons found a first half lead off of a Junior Roque set piece, this time converting from the penalty spot. Early in the second half, Aidan Clark was able to score off of a long cross-field assist from senior defender Harrison Land, putting Jordan up 2-0. The Falcons were able to bend without breaking, letting in only one goal and winning the game 2-1.

Part of this success can be attributed to a change in formation from the Falcons. Following the loss to Panther Creek, Jordan shifted to a 5-3-2 (3-5-2) formation. The change in formation looks to utilize the attacking width from the wing back position and add strength to the center of the defense. So far this change in tactics has looked good for the Falcons, but it is yet to be seen how it will fare against tougher opposition like Green Hope, Panther Creek, and Cary.

The Falcons will be back in action on Wednesday, September 25th, at 6:30 pm. in their conference home opener. The Falcons will take on Cary High School in a game that has both playoff and conference championship implications.