Cross Country Team Thrives in Busy Week

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cross Country Team Thrives in Busy Week

Mercer Stanfield, Staff Writer

The Jordan High School cross country team had an eventful week last week, running at the Durham County Championship at Durham Academy on Wednesday as well as the Haganstone Invitational in Guilford County on Saturday. 

The Durham County Championship last Wednesday was one for the record books, recording a record-high temperature of 96 degrees and pushing the meet from a 5K to a 3K for the first time in the race’s history. The boys race was led by freshman standout Ian Rouse and junior Andrew Rossi, placing 7th and 8th in a competitive field of runners. This was Rossi’s second straight race receiving a medal. The girls’ race was led by Malin Just and Tori Dunston, both placing well and running great times in the intense heat. Unfortunately, the Falcons fell just short from taking home the Gray Cup, the combined girls and boys team trophy given the best program in Durham. The Falcons placed third out of seven teams.

Last Saturday, the men’s and women’s team headed to everyone’s favorite meet of the year, the Haganstone Invitational. The Falcons were blessed with perfect conditions for a 5K and a fast course, running a total of 17 personal best times and having 5 runners receive medals for top 21 placements in their respective races. Andrew Rossi received his third straight medal and Nate Byers dropped a massive 45 seconds for his personal best, sprinting into the third-best spot on the varsity team and recording a great time of 17:52.

This week, the Falcons are preparing for the NC Runners Invitational in Kernersville, NC.