Next Man Up: The Tale of Three Quarterbacks

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Jackson Keys

Photo by Jackson Keys

Photo by Jackson Keys

Photo by Jackson Keys

Chris Holliday, Staff Writer

For the last four years, Jordan has had as much stability as a high school program can ask for at the quarterback position. From 2015 through 2018, Ben Miller started at quarterback for the Falcons. He began as a freshman and would go on to set every Jordan passing record imaginable. But with Miller graduated and attending UPenn for baseball, the Falcons’ stability at the position has left with him.

During the offseason, there was a two-man quarterback competition between senior Cam Carrow and junior Isaiah Williams. Both players battled hard for the job and split reps throughout preseason scrimmages, and the winner of the job ended up being Carrow.

Carrow, who was also voted a team captain, started off the season strong. Through the first four games, Carrow managed to pass for 457 yards along with 5 touchdowns. He completed a stellar 55% of his passes and had led the team to a 3-1 record. Going into their matchup against Apex, the Falcons had both momentum and confidence. 

On September 20th, the Falcons went to Apex High School for their fifth game of the season. On the first drive of the game, Carrow took a hard hit to the shoulder. He ended up initially dislocating his shoulder on that play. Yet when Carrow went to the doctor to have his shoulder checked on, the doctor ruled that he had a partially torn labrum. His recovery time was three and a half months, which would prematurely end his season. 

Williams stepped in and threw for three touchdowns on the game to lead Jordan to a 49-0 win against Apex. Williams looked ready to assume the role as the starting quarterback as the Falcons went into the conference season. The Falcons took on Panther Creek in the first conference matchup and first start for Williams. The Falcons lost this game by 15 even with the outstanding effort of the junior. Yet, the future for the rest of the conference season looked bright as Williams had shown promise as the new quarterback.

Just as it looked like the team may have turned a corner, Williams began to feel pain in his knee. At first, he thought that the pain was just soreness from the game the previous Friday, which is common in the brutal game of football. Yet the pain continued throughout the week leading up to Hillside. Williams decided to go see the doctor who ordered an MRI on his knee. The diagnosis was a torn meniscus with a recovery time ranging from three to five months. And just like that, the Falcons had lost their second quarterback in as many weeks.

Down two quarterbacks, the Falcons were forced to turn to star wide receiver Joaquin Davis as the new quarterback. Davis hadn’t played a game at quarterback since sophomore year and had been dominating at receiver with a team-leading fourteen receptions going into the Hillside game. Yet, Davis unselfishly was willing to switch positions and step into the role of quarterback. The move paid off as the Falcons beat Hillside for the first time since 2006 as Davis played a variety of roles, picking up 83 yards through the air at quarterback and also making three tackles on the other side of the ball.

The Falcons may have lost two quarterbacks, yet they have not let that deter them. The culture that Coach Anthony Barbour has built can be seen as the team has bought in, especially Davis in his position switch. As the Falcons continue into the conference season, it will be exciting to see the progression of Davis and the Falcons’ offense in their journey to repeat as conference champions.

The Falcons host Cary on October 18th at 7 p.m. for homecoming night.