College Options Across NC

A look into various four year college options across North Carolina. A guide to finding the best fit for you, while staying close to home.

College Options Across NC

Ellie Robert, Staff Writer

UNC (Chapel Hill)

taken from unc.edu

Fast Facts:

● Undergrad population: 18,511

● Acceptance rate: 21.9%
● Average GPA: 4.50
● Average SAT/ACT: 1370/30

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has claimed the title for being the oldest public university in the United States since its establishment in late 1789. Today, UNC-Chapel Hill is consistently ranked as one of the top public universities in the country, making it a top choice not just for North Carolinians, but for students all across the US and the world. Its most popular major is social science (18%), but it offers a total of 84 majors. For in-state students, 50% of attendees receive financial aid and the average amount of financial aid is $18,325.

Davidson College

taken from davidson.edu

Fast Facts:
● Undergrad population: 1,843
● Acceptance rate: 20.2%
● Average GPA: 3.92
● Average SAT/ACT: 1390/32

Davidson College is a private liberal arts college located in Davidson, North Carolina. Situated right outside of Charlotte, Davidson is approximately two hours away from Durham. Davison was founded in 1837 and currently enrolls students from 48 states and 47 countries. Its small undergraduate population allows for smaller class sizes and more face time with professors. Its most popular major is social science (27%), but it offers a total of 25 majors. For in-state, 51% of students receive financial aid and the average amount of financial aid is $47,564.

UNC (Greensboro)

taken from uncg.edu

Fast Facts:

● Undergrad population: 16,581

● Acceptance rate: 83.3%
● Average GPA: 3.70
● Average SAT/ACT: 1090/23

The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is a public university in North Carolina and is one of the 17 UNC schools across the state. UNCG is also one of the 25 universities across the nation that is recognized by the Safe Campus for its safety. Its most popular major is business and marketing (17%), but it offers a total of 125 programs. For in-state, 85% of students receive financial aid and the average amount of financial aid is $12,296.

NC State

taken from ncsu.edu

Fast Facts:
● Undergrad population: 25,973
● Acceptance rate: 47.1%
● Average GPA: 3.76
● Average SAT/ACT: 1320/29

North Carolina State University is the largest college in North Carolina with a total of 39,135 students. It opened its doors in 1887 and has become increasingly popular for its veterinary options. Its most popular major is engineering (27%), but it offers a total of 300 undergraduate and graduate degrees. For in-state, 48% of students receive financial aid and the average amount of financial aid is $12,832.

East Carolina University

taken from ecu.edu

Fast Facts:
● Undergrad population: 23,010
● Acceptance rate: 78.8%
● Average GPA: 3.78
● Average SAT/ACT: 1110/22

East Carolina University is located in Greenville, North Carolina, about one hour and 40 minutes away from Durham. Many notable alumni have graduated from ECU, including Sandra Bullock and Vince McMahon. Its most popular majors are health and related professions (18%) and business and marketing (18%). For in-state, 63% of students receive financial aid and the average amount of financial aid is $9,640.

Appalachian State University

taken from appstate.edu

Fast Facts:
● Undergrad population: 17,518
● Acceptance rate: 70.0%
● Average GPA: 4.20
● Average SAT/ACT: 1190/25

Appalachian State University is located in Boone, North Carolina. Boone is located in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains and was named after explorer Daniel Boone. Its most popular major is business and marketing (19%), but it offers a total of 150 undergraduate and graduate majors. For in-state, 50% of students receive financial aid and the average amount of financial aid is $9,021.

Wake Forest University

taken from wfu.edu

Fast Facts:
● Undergrad population: 5,225
● Acceptance rate: 27.6%
● Average GPA: 3.85
● Average SAT/ACT: 1350/30

Wake Forest is one of 59 private colleges located in North Carolina. Wake Forest was established in 1834 in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Wake Forest has many notable alumni including US senator Richard Burr. Its small undergraduate population makes Wake Forest the smallest school in the “Power Five” conferences. The most popular major is social science (21%), but it offers more than 40 majors. For in-state, 30% of students receive financial aid and the average amount of financial aid is $49,145.

NC Central University

taken from nccu.edu

Fast Facts:
● Undergrad population: 6,434
● Acceptance rate: 82.8%
● Average GPA: 3.20
● Average SAT/ACT: 970/18

North Carolina Central University is located here in Durham, North Carolina. NCCU is a nationally registered historically black university that was founded by pharmacist James E. Shepard in 1909. Its most popular major is business and marketing (13%), but it offers more than 29 majors. For in-state, 89% of students receive financial aid and the average amount of financial aid is $11,665.

Duke University

taken from duke.edu

Fast Facts

● Undergrad population: 6,682

● Acceptance rate: 10.8%

● Average GPA: 4.08

● Average SAT/ACT: 1470/33

Duke University is a private university here in Durham, North Carolina, and is known around the globe as one of the best universities in the world. Duke University was founded in the year 1838 under the name “Brown School” and later renamed “Duke University” in 1924. Its most popular major is economics, followed by computer science and public policy. Duke University is also home to Duke Hospital, one of the nationals premier health care facilities.