A New Leader Takes the Reins of Jordan Athletics

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lauryn Turner, Staff Writer

The new school year brings a lot of excitement to the Jordan High School athletic community. It is a new era in coaching for Jordan soccer as Justin Finger was named head coach of both varsity men’s and women’s soccer. Former UNC and NBA basketball star Rasheed Wallace will begin his first season as head men’s basketball coach. A new athletic director was also named this fall.
Mrs. Rhonda Dreibelbis, current Jordan Healthful Living teacher and Freshman Academy Team Leader, was announced as Director of Athletics recently. Dreibelbis graduated from the University of Louisiana-Lafayette with a B.S. She went on to earn her master’s in Education from McNeese State University. She was a collegiate athlete, playing on her school’s women’s basketball team. In 2010, she was inducted into the Louisiana Hall of Fame for her outstanding career. She is very thankful for the opportunity Ms. Taylor and her staff provided her to lead the athletic department. Mrs. Dreibelbis is very excited about the future of athletics at Jordan High School and is honored to have the privilege to serve. When asked about her plans for the rest of the 2019-2020 school year, Mrs. Dreibelbis replied, “I am looking forward to continuing all the good and positive things that Ms. Levins established in our athletic department.” Her main goal is to challenge others by asking what we can do to help our coaches and players become more successful and what resources we need to do that. “We have some great student-athletes and I am looking forward to helping our coaches provide the best opportunity for them to be successful as student-athletes,” says Dreibelbis.
Looking forward to the upcoming winter and spring seasons, Mrs. Dreibelbis states that she wants to look back on both and say Jordan was successful on and off the field. “I want to look back and see that we not only were winners but we were winners in doing things the right way.” She expects Jordan High School to be successful on the playing field but more importantly to be successful in establishing core values in our student-athletes which include Sportsmanship, Fair Play, Honesty, Integrity, Respect, Loyalty, Excellence, and Professionalism. Her vision for the Jordan High School athletic department is “for every stakeholder to have a strong commitment to the primary focus of providing an opportunity for student-athletes to develop to their full potential both academically and athletically.”
Finally, Mrs. Dreibelbis gives advice for all student-athletes to follow: “To have the talent and the opportunity to play sports in high school is a privilege and not a right. I would encourage [student-athletes] to embrace that privilege every day.” Some key points of advice from Dreibelbis’ experience as a college athlete and administrator are to practice time management, communicate positively, challenge comfort zones and stereotypes, refuse to get complacent, never think you can’t be replaced, learn from your failures, don’t ever stop learning, and remember that your character counts.
Ms. Shelba Levins, the former Athletic Director, has taken a position at Chapel Hill High School as their new assistant principal. The entire Jordan Falcons community will miss Ms. Levins but wish her the best of luck in her new adventure with the Chapel Hill Tigers.