Volleyball Wraps Up Impressive Season

Freddy Stanley, Chief Editor

The Jordan High School volleyball team saw their season come to a close on Monday night in the second round of the NCHSAA state playoffs. Although the Lady Falcons saw an exit in the playoffs, they have a lot to be proud of from the season. The Lady Falcons finished with a record of 16-9, their first winning season since 2015. They also advanced to the second round of the playoffs for the first time in over ten years (according to MaxPreps).

The Lady Falcons started off the season going 5-3 in non-conference play, picking up big wins against Milbrook and Enloe. They also started Tri-8 play on a hot streak, wining their first four conference games. The Falcons finished up conference play in third place behind Green Hope and Panther Creek.

In the first round of the playoffs, Jordan matched up against Milbrook, a familiar foe. Playing at home, the Lady Falcons were able to sweep the Wildcats in straight sets to advance to the second round. The second round of the playoffs saw Jordan travel to #1 seed South Central. Playing as the underdogs, the Falcons fell short of victory despite a hard fought contest.

Throughout the season, the Lady Falcons were lead by senior libero Olivia Hofheinz, sophomore OPP Sydney McCree, and senior setter Marie Bennett. On the attack, junior Maddison Jones and sophomore Sydney McCree were dominant all season. The duo each had over 200 kills on the season to lead the team. In the heart of the team was libero Olivia Hofheinz. As a captain, Hofheinz finished the season with 236 digs and 446 serve receptions. Senior Marie Bennett also played a crucial role in the Falcons’ success, tallying 642 assists on the year.

Without a doubt, the 2019  team was one of the best teams Jordan volleyball has seen in recent history. With plenty of talented players returning for 2020, it will be exciting to see how high the Lady Falcons can soar next season.