Falcons Fall to Hornets in Girls Basketball

Jordan Looses 59-52 to Hillside on Friday Night in Their First Loss of the Season

Freddy Stanley, Chief Editor

The Jordan High School girls basketball team took on the Hillside Hornets at home on Friday night. There was a lot on the line going into the Friday night clash.

Both teams entered the game undefeated, not just winning their previous games, but winning them in style. For the Hornets, the first two games of the season saw two big wins, beating High Point Central 78-20 and Dudley 79-27. The Falcons came into Friday night’s contest with a perfect 4-0 record and some big wins of their own. The first four games of the season for the Falcons resulted in two wins against Chapel Hill by over 25 points each, a 91-17 thrashing of West Johnston, and a hard-fought 60-50 win over a strong Southern Durham team. Coach Cox and the Falcons entered Friday night’s contest ready to fight in their biggest test of the season so far.

Friday night’s rivalry game brought large crowds to Jordan High School. Not just Jordan students came out to the game, but many Hillside students made the trip across Durham as well.

The game was hard-fought with high-intensity defense from the start. Despite being able to force a few turnovers early, Jordan found themselves in a 9-5 hole. But this early deficit did not last long. Thanks to a Mariah Davenport three-ball and some strong post play from Ashley Roberts, the Falcons went on a 10-0 run to make the score 15-9 in their favor.  The Hornets then went on a run of their own, tying the game at 17 apiece. A few points from Sydney Barker and Ashley Roberts later, the Falcons took a 23-17 lead going into the half.

Coming out of the break, the Hornets caught fire. Hillside came out and scored the opening eight points of the second half, giving them a 25-23 lead. The Hornets did not look back from there, stretching their lead to 41-29 by the end of the third quarter.

Much of the Hornets’ success in their electric third quarter was due to the shooting of senior guard Shianna Brisbon. Brisbon knocked down a series of three-pointers, was relentless on the defensive end, and was consistently strong driving to the basket. Brisbon took over the game in the second half and proved to be too much to handle for the Falcons.

Although the Falcons were down by double digits entering the fourth quarter, they refused to give up. Thanks to yet another three-pointer by Mariah Davenport, the Hornets lead was cut down to only 46-39. Unfortunately for the Falcons, Hillside was able to dig in their heels yet again and prevent the score from getting any closer. With just two minutes left to play, the Falcons saw themselves staring up at the wrong end of a 54-44 scoreline.

Just as they had all night, the Falcons refused to give up. With under a minute left, the Falcons were able to cut the Hillside lead down to only six points but were unable to get any closer than that. The game ended at 59-52 in favor of the Hornets, handing the Falcons their first loss of the year.

Even though the Falcons perfect record was ruined on Friday night, there were clear positives to take away from the game. One of these positives was the play of Ashley Roberts. Roberts was dominant in the paint all night, putting up 10 rebounds and 9 points, leading the team in both categories. Mariah Davenport also helped the Falcons on the offensive end though her perimeter shooting, knocking down two threes and tallying eight total points. Freshman Sydney Barker was also consistent for the Falcons throughout the game, orchestrating the offense from the point guard position.

This upcoming weekend will see the Falcons travel all the way to Washington, D.C. to play in the She Got Game Classic. The showcase will feature teams from all up and down the east coast as well as teams from Canada. The Falcons’ first game will be against Norview High School from Norfolk, Va.

The next home game will be on Tuesday, December 17th, against Panther Creek at 5 pm.