Aquafalcons Dominate the Water

Mercer Stanfield, Staff Writer

The Jordan High School swim team has been quite busy over the last month. On Friday, January 10th, the Aquafalcons kicked off one of their last meets of the season against their in-city rivals Voyager. The Falcons picked up a great win, beating both Voyager’s men’s and women’s teams without too much trouble. Sophomore swimmer Jackson Hagen swam a fantastic 50 freestyle, swimming a season-best 23.21 seconds, as did the women’s 200 medley relay, who placed second and will get a chance to place at regionals in a few weeks.

The Aquafalcons hosted the Wildcats of East Chapel Hill the following week. Unfortunately, the defending 3A State Champions spoiled the Falcons’ senior night, beating Jordan by a small margin of only 50 points. While the end result wasn’t what the Aquafalcons had hoped, many swimmers posted season-best times and had fantastic races. Senior Alexis Walker, who is committed to UNC-Asheville for swimming, had an especially good day, placing first in all four of the events she swam. Senior Camden McGovern also had a good meet, placing second in the 100-yard freestyle and first in the 100-yard breaststroke, giving the team much-needed points in individual events. “I was really proud of our effort as a team. It was a hard-fought meet but unfortunately, we fell a bit short in the end,” senior captain Sterling Fowler said when asked about the team’s close loss to the defending 3A state champs.

As the swim team comes towards the ending stretches of their season, they prepared to swim in their conference championship meet on Saturday, January 25th. Led by their senior captains Sterling Fowler, Mercer Stanfield, Kaylin Privette, and Lucy Roberts, the Aquafalcons had a great performance at the meet, placing fourth of eight teams in both the men’s and women’s divisions. While the Aquafalcons might have hoped for a higher finish, many swimmers swam great times that qualified them for regionals. Sophomore standouts Keenan Day and Dillan Hickey qualified for multiple events at regionals and will be swimming in the girl’s A-teams for the 200 medley relay as well as the 200 free relay.  Both also qualified for individual events and will have the chance to make states this weekend.

The Aquafalcons prepare for the 4A Regionals this weekend, hoping to swim fast enough to continue their season to the next weekend at the state meet.