Girls Basketball Continue Eight Game Win Streak

Jordan High School Basketball Remains Unbeaten in 2020

Freddy Stanley, Chief Editor

The Jordan High School girls basketball team defeated the Cary High School Imps on Tuesday night in one of their final games of the regular season. The win for the Falcons marks their eighth straight game unbeaten and keeps them a prime contender for the regular season conference title. Playing at home, the Falcons came into the game as heavy favorites over the Imps. The Imps entered the game at 3-7 in conference play, opposite of the stellar 7-3 conference record of Falcons.

Although they were the underdogs, Cary was able to keep things interesting early. At the end of the first quarter, the Imps were able to edge out a narrow lead at 11-8. Seeing themselves down early, the Falcons were able to come out into the second quarter and respond in a big way. The Falcons scored a staggering 25 points in the second period alone, to surge past the Imps and take a 33-28 lead. The second half saw the Falcons only expand on this lead, eventually winning the game with ease 73-60.

The Falcons were led on the night by junior Nia Howard, as they have been for much of the season. Howard dropped a career high 26 points as the Imps struggled to find an answer. Howard shot 10-15 from within the three-point arc and added a three pointer and a trio of foul shots to round out her career-high performance. Howard leads the team in the scoring category, averaging 17 points per game this season.

Senior Ashaunti Parker also had a career night for the Falcons, grabbing 10 total rebounds. Parker was able to establish a key post presence and dominate the boards throughout the game.

Other players scoring in double figures for the Falcons were seniors Jori Wilks (11) and Aysia Hinton(12).

The win for the Falcons keeps them tied for first at the top of the Tri-8 Conference standings. Jordan is currently in a three way tie for first atop the Tri-8 conference, with Hillside and Athens Drive joining them at 8-3. The Falcons will face Athens Drive at home tomorrow night in a game that will have huge implications in the Tri-8 conference title race.