Girls Win Big, Boys Suffer Close Loss in First Round of Tri-8 Conference Basketball Tournament

Freddy Stanley, Chief Editor

The first round of the Triangle-8 Conference Basketball Tournament took place Monday night, which saw the boys and girls basketball teams both in action. The boys were on the road against Riverside, and the girls played at home against Cary.

Boys Basketball

Riverside 67 – Jordan 61

The boys entered the tournament as the fifth seed out of eight in the conference, matched up against the fourth seed, Riverside. Monday night was the third meeting of the season between the cross-town rivals, with Riverside leading the season series 2-0. Even though Riverside had won both of the prior meetings, they had come down to the wire.

Monday night’s game was no different. Jordan was able to start the game hot, shooting the ball well and playing lock-down defense. The Falcon’s strong first-half performance showed on the scoreboard, holding a 40-32 lead at halftime. Unfortunately for the Falcons, the Riverside defense was the story of the second half. The Pirates held Jordan to only 21 second-half points, only half of their first-half total. A strong showing on the defensive end and a consistent offensive attack were enough to win the game for the Pirates, 67-61.

The loss to Riverside all but eliminates the Falcons from playoff contention. The Jordan boys basketball team were ranked 54 in the most recent MaxPreps 4A state rankings, and the Monday night loss to Riverside did not help their case. Needing to be in the top 48 to be in the playoffs, it appears that the 2019/20 boys basketball season is over without a playoff appearance.

Girls Basketball 

Jordan 72 – Cary 46

The Jordan girls’ basketball team made easy work of the Cary High School Imps in the first round of the Tri-8 Conference Girls Basketball Tournament on Monday night. The Falcons entered the game as heavy favorites as the two seed, with the Imps as the seven seed. In the first quarter, the Imps were able to keep it close, trailing the Falcons 14-12. In the second quarter, the Falcons were able to come out and show the Imps why they have won 12 straight games. Scoring 20 second-quarter points, the Falcons ended the half with the game in hand, up big 34-21.

In the second half, the Falcons continued to pile on to the lead that they built in the second quarter. With dominant play throughout the second half, Jordan was able to win the game with ease by 26.

The win against Cary was truly a team effort for the Falcons. Gabby Davis (10), Aysia Hinton (11), Jori Wilks (13), and Nia Howard (13)  all scored in double digits on the night, and nine different players were able to get on the score sheet for Jordan.

The Falcons face off against Athens Drive in the semi-finals of the Tri-8 tournament on Wednesday night. The game will be played at 3:30 pm at Green Level High School. The winner of Athens Drive vs Jordan will play in the Tri-8 Conference Championship on Friday at 5:30.

The latest HighSchoolOT 4A Girls Basketball State Playoff Projections have Jordan as the ninth seed in the East region. Only a conference championship would improve the Falcons playoff seeding, bringing them up to a three or four seed. Regardless of Wednesday night’s result, the Jordan girls basketball team will be seeing postseason action this season, and will almost definitely be given home-court advantage in the first round.