Common Questions Concerning the Primary Elections

picture taken from dcvotes.com

picture taken from dcvotes.com

Lucinda Rosen, Staff Writer

The upcoming primary elections have become a widespread topic of discussion in many Jordan classrooms. With only four days left for early voting, it’s critical that Jordan juniors and seniors have all the information to make their vote count before it’s too late. Below is a quick overview of useful resources and information to help you vote for the first time.

Can I Vote?
Everyone turning 18 on or before November 3rd, 2020 can vote in the primaries.
The Durham primary elections are held on March 3rd, but early voting has already started and ends at 3:00 pm on Saturday, February 29th.

Voter Registration
You can register and vote at the same time during early voting, but NOT on March 3rd.
If you registered at the DMV while getting a license you should be good to go.
To register to vote during early voting you need to show proof of residency, which can be any of the following: a driver’s license, passport, photo ID from a government agency, or one of the following with your name and address: current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or another government document.
To check if you are registered and eligible to vote you can look up your name on the NC Board of Elections voter lookup tool. This tool also shows the ballot that will be given to you at the polls.

Do I Need a Photo ID?
Despite what you may have heard, you do not need a photo ID to vote in this year’s primaries.
However, if you are registering during early voting, remember to bring your proof of residency described above to early voting.

Where Do I Vote?
The closest early voting location to Jordan is the Eno River Unitarian Universalist Fellowship building, only a 3-minute drive from school.
To find the early voting site nearest to you and check their hours, use this poll locator.
On March 3rd voters must go to their designated precinct site which can be located at the link above.

What Can I Vote On?
While the presidential primary is what many students are focused on, the primaries also determine the nominees for a US Senate seat, State House and Senate, and Governor. Students who can’t see how these races affect their lives should consider their opportunity to determine the next Superintendent of NC public schools. For students who care about the funding of Jordan and other NC public schools, the state House and Senate races are critical in determining how North Carolina appropriates funds. For students who are interested in voting but aren’t sure of the candidates they support, Ballotpedia is an extremely useful and intuitive nonpartisan resource to learn about all of the NC races you can vote in and easily determine which candidate will have your support. Partisan race information can be found from the Durham Democrats and Durham GOP. Political action committees also provide partisan endorsements that enable voters to determine a candidate based on their political values. A list of prominent Durham PACs, including the Durham Committee on the Affairs of Black People and the People’s Alliance, are provided by the Durham County Board of Elections. Jordan students are encouraged to vote in order to ensure that their government reflects their priorities, beliefs, and agenda.

Have further questions? Go to the Durham County Board of Elections website.