Catching up with Wendy MacIver: The Crucible at Jordan

Ben Throckmorton, Staff Writer

This winter’s production of The Crucible is student-directed by senior Wendy MacIver. Wendy has been working on this production for the last year and we sat down with her to ask her a couple of questions about the show.

Falcon Post: What has been the best thing overall or funniest moment of this show?

Wendy MacIver: The best thing overall has probably been getting to see my friends take a silly artistic vision I had a year ago and make it a real thing and a real show. It’s really satisfying to see it on stage and to see all these little ideas I’ve had turned into a legitimate production. 

FP: What has been the hardest part overall of putting together this show?

WM: I don’t think I fully understood the scope of how much goes into a production. That sounds like a very basic answer, but when you think about all the basic pieces–putting together set pieces, lights, and props, along with actors learning their lines and conveying their characters as effectively as possible–it’s a lot of things coming together.  

FP: Why The Crucible over any other play out there?

WM: I tell this story all the time. I was assigned to read The Crucible my junior year (for Ms. Howes’ AP Language class) and honestly, having a teacher who was so excited about the content made me feel like I should actually read the book instead of just skimming it to make sure I got a good grade for reading the story. So I ended up reading it and falling in love with not just the story but the message behind the story, and how as an allegory it’s a text that is living because it can go along with whatever societal issue is going on in regards to mass hysteria and gendered politics. 

FP: Is this something you hope to do in the future?

WM: Yes! Most of the college programs I’m applying for are directing tracks, and my ultimate career goal is to be directing professional theater. 

FP: What is different about this version of The Crucible?

W: While we do choose to stick to the traditional choices in the script in some scenes, the group of teenage girls in the show exist in this production as almost a greek chorus group. This means their role in the show is sometimes serious in the scenes, but other times they seem to exist above the world in scenes displaying witchcraft. These are the scenes you might see modern clothing and music in. 

FP: From where have you drawn inspiration? 

W: I draw inspiration from the Playmakers program at UNC, in the way that they semi-modernize plays and contextualize it with modern life. The reason it’s Playmakers specifically is that they throw in the curveballs of modern clothing and music while still sticking to the traditional script and choices in the script.

FP: When is the show?

W: The show will be February 27th through 29th at 7:30 pm every night. It costs $5 for students (or 5 falcon feathers) and $15 for adults and parents. 

We wish Wendy and the cast and crew of the Crucible a successful opening for the show and hope to see you at this production.