COVID-19 in North Carolina

COVID-19 in North Carolina

Luke Jackson, Copy Editor

This Tuesday, North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper (D) declared an official state of emergency concerning COVID-19, or the Wuhan Coronavirus. As of this writing, seven North Carolinians have been infected and tested positive. In “[anticipation] of more positive tests,” North Carolina is “doing everything we can to get more supplies,” announced Cooper in his Tuesday evening press conference. “While we do expect many more cases, we can limit the number of people who get seriously ill,” announced the governor. 

Governor Cooper went into some detail about what a state of emergency means in this situation, explaining that “the main purpose of declaring a state of emergency is increased flexibility to respond and allocate funds where needed.” Cooper also cited the fact that declaring a state of emergency protects NC consumers from price gouging and has the potential to make Coronavirus tests available for little to no cost with insurance.

In his opening to what was a 45+ minute press conference, Cooper also emphasized that most of the population is not in danger. Concerning the population most affected, Cooper made it clear that “this new guidance is especially important for people older than 65 and those with a chronic health condition.” But on a sobering note, the governor added that “even though we know that that population is more vulnerable, I ask all North Carolinians to take this seriously.”

Though Mandy Cohen, state Health and Human Services secretary, mentioned at the conference that school closures should not be the first course of action right now, colleges in the state are closing left and right. Wednesday afternoon, officials within the University of North Carolina system announced that as soon as March 23rd, classes will take place online. Said an official in their statement, “Our goal is to return to in-person instruction as soon as reasonably possible. … Each institution will communicate the specific details to its students and faculty.” This announcement came after on Tuesday evening Duke closed the doors of its lecture halls to students, advising that those students off-campus for spring break not yet return. After the extended holiday has concluded, the school will move to “remote instruction.” In their official announcement, Duke made it clear that it “was not an easy decision to make and came only after reviewing the range of options available in light of the rapidly changing situation in North Carolina, and nationally.”

Amidst the confusion swirling around the virus, many people are concerned about what it might mean if they contract it. Everyone with a cough is panicking to get tested and across the country shortages of hand sanitizer are being reported. But much of the panic is unnecessary. If you’re under 70 years old and don’t suffer from any severe respiratory conditions, you don’t have much to worry about; if you show symptoms (most of which are shared with the flu or a common cold), stay home, rest, and treat it like you would any other disease. However, older people and those with a respiratory condition (like COPD) should take extra precautions.

The Falcon Post would also like to remind everyone that prevention of the spread of Coronavirus is just the same as what you’d do if you had a cold. Catch coughs and sneezes, use hand sanitizer, and wash your hands regularly. The CDC recommends that you wash your hands for twenty seconds, or the time it takes to sing “Happy Birthday” twice. But for those bored of “Happy Birthday,” NBC Philadelphia compiled a list of songs you might hum instead. Below are a few:

Chorus of “Sweet Caroline” by Neil Diamond

Chorus of “Africa” by Toto

Chorus of “Since U Been Gone” by Kelly Clarkson

Chorus of “Shake it Off” by Taylor Swift

From everyone here at the Falcon Post, stay safe, please stay home if you’re sick, and wash your hands.