2020 Election: How to Vote Early and Find Your Polling Place

Ben Chesser, Falcon Post Staff

The November 3rd election is approaching fast. With many planning to pursue early voting here in Durham, it’s becoming increasingly necessary that everyone knows exactly when and where to vote. If you are planning to vote early, there are a few things that it’s important you know.

First and foremost, the early voting period runs from Thursday, October 15, 2020 to Saturday, October 31, 2020.

Solutions have already been implemented for those who are eager to vote but are wary of COVID-19. You can request your absentee (mail-in) ballot here. In North Carolina, a heavily COVD-stricken state, the fear of COVID-19 is a valid reason to request a ballot. However, it’s critical that you request an absentee ballot prior to the October 27th deadline. Upon its arrival, you will receive step-by-step instructions on where and when it needs to be sent. Keep in mind that it is likely you’ll have to pay your own postage. Thankfully, it shouldn’t cost more than a dollar.

Regardless of whether you’re voting early or in the November 3rd general election, it is imperative that you know where your polling place is. Early voting and general election locations may be different, so make sure you search for the one you are participating in. If you are planning to vote early, here is a list of all of the locations available. It may or may not be the same as your regular polling place, so you should confirm with the resources below. If you already know what precinct you live in, here is a document that the Durham County Board of Elections created where you can match your precinct to your polling place. If you do not already know your precinct, here is the official website where you can enter your street address, city, and zip code to learn what polling place you need to go to. For example, If I lived at Jordan High School, I would enter 6806 Garrett Rd, Durham, NC 27707. After clicking the “Submit” button, the website will tell you your precinct number (Jordan is in precinct 38), and your polling location with its address and a picture.

There’s no excuse to not know your polling place–there are so many great resources available for your use! Voting by mail or voting early can be unnecessarily complicated, but it doesn’t have to be.