PRESS RELEASE: New Girls Basketball Coach Introduced

Luke Jackson, Chief Editor

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 10/30/2020

CONTACT: Luke Jackson, Falcon Post co-chief editor, [email protected]

JORDAN HIGH SCHOOL INTRODUCES NEW GIRLS VARSITY BASKETBALL COACH

Durham, N.C.: On Friday, October 30, Jordan High School introduced their new girls varsity basketball coach for the 2020/2021 season, Coach Kamalee Jackson, at a press conference via Zoom. 

Coach Jackson is a Durham native and went to Northern High School. Prior to coming on as the coach of the Lady Falcons, Coach Jackson was coach at Voyager Academy for two years. He has also coached at Northern High School and Research Triangle Charter. He was an assistant coach at Northern when the team won the 2007 GlaxoSmithKline Tournament, and has led programs to four regular season titles and two conference postseason titles. He has coached players who went on to play collegiately, from JUCO up to Division I. He is a member of the National Association for Coaching Equity and Development, and a member of the North Carolina Basketball Coaches Association. Coach Jackson also served in the United States military from 2010 to 2017, and is part of the Durham Police Department.

Coach Jackson comes to take over a program that has seen success in recent years. During the 2019-2020 season, the team went 23-5 and finished second in the Triangle-8 conference, winning 11 of their 14 conference games. Ending the season with a tough loss at the hands of Southeast Raleigh in the round of 16 at the State Championships, the team is hungry to improve upon last season. The team returns eight players from last year’s conference championship team, including senior and team captain Nia Howard. When asked how she looked forward to continuous improvement for this upcoming season, Howard said, “[The team] can continue to be aggressive and dominate on offense but also work harder as a unit on the defensive end. If we build our team chemistry even more this year, I think we have a chance to win both the conference and state championships.”

Jordan Athletic Director Rhonda Dreibelbis believes that Coach Jackson is a great fit for the program, saying, “He spoke so passionately about Xs and Os as well as about coaching and has such an excitement about coaching at Jordan. He’s very dedicated and interested in growing the program and taking it to the next level, and his community involvement in the city of Durham is also a perfect fit, opening up opportunities for our young ladies. I’m excited about the future of our program and the opportunity for our athletes to be able to shine and play at the next level.”

Though high school sports in North Carolina have been canceled thus far due to the ongoing global pandemic, the school board is voting on November 19th on returning to normal operations for cheer, basketball, and field hockey, and the team hopes to begin practicing soon afterwards if the board allows.

The Falcon Post is Jordan High School’s student newspaper. All content is written, edited, and published by students at Jordan High School. You can read more from the Falcon Post at falconpostjhs.com.