Devious Licks: Delightful Trend or Destructive Craze?

Megan Michaels

Due to a new social media trend, missing soap dispensers in bathrooms throughout Jordan High School have led to frustration among many students and administrators–though others find it to be an interesting source of entertainment.   

The popular social media platform, Tik Tok, inspired a new trend that app users commonly refer to as “hitting devious licks” involving students stealing things from the school such as hand soap dispensers from the bathrooms. This online craze seems to have hit Jordan.

“I think [the licks] are terrible, I haven’t seen a single soap dispenser in any of the boys’ bathrooms I’ve been into recently. I haven’t been able to wash my hands in two weeks,” says a sophomore who chooses to remain anonymous. Other students have expressed similar experiences, observing the absence of these missing pieces, necessary for hygiene especially in the time of COVID-19. Though many students feel the same way, others think it is quite comedic. “I believe it makes good entertainment,” a junior adds. 

Assistant Principal Mr. Ganim, however, doesn’t find it humorous. “It is disheartening that some students have resorted to destroying school property because of something seen on social media.” The hashtag “devious lick” on Tik Tok has recently been taken down in an effort to stop the destruction of schools across the country. 

A sophomore expressed similar thoughts to those of his classmates saying, “I think the devious lick trend started off as a joke but was quickly taken too far.” Many students echo the same concerns: once a trivial prank, the trend has quickly escalated into widespread acts of vandalism, and it needs to be stopped. “It’s taking away from our school’s resources,” says a freshman. “I kind of feel bad for janitors and principals when kids steal stuff from the school,” adds another sophomore. 

Administrators have no specific information on exactly how many soap dispensers have been stolen. Each one costs around $20 to $40, and with the funding public schools receive, there is not a lot of room in the budget to be constantly replacing the things being lost as a result of this trend, but custodians are “working to ensure all dispensers are in proper working order,” according to Ganim. 

As far as the punishments go for taking part in this trend, administration would not comment on the consequences students will receive or many students have received these consequences, due to privacy laws, though they hope students will “start a trend that positively impacts our school and supports fellow Falcons.”