New Student Government 2021-2022

Levi Stine, Junior Class Editor

The New Upperclassmen of Student Government

With the new Student Government election in the recent-past, the elects are preparing to begin their first term within the organization. While many Jordan students considered the elections a popularity contest rather than a stepping-stone into the political climate of our country, it’s still important to understand the policies and the actions these new representatives hope to take. 

Speaking with unanimous Student Body President Summer Mullen, I was able to gain some insight on the inner workings of the club. “The main function of SGA (Student Government Association), to me, is for students to express their ideas for the school, their concerns, and to encourage future leaders,” she stated in a recent interview I held with her. As for why she decided to run for President, she said it was because she “wanted students of color to feel comfortable and well-represented.” Additionally, Senior Trinity Tzendzalian sees her role as Student Body Secretary as having the purpose of “representing the student body with the responsibility of meeting the needs of all students who are often overlooked.” Trinity is not only invested in the mental health of the students, but also their physical health, suggesting a food drive or other events in order to meet the physical needs of the student body.

Our Juniors may be the most important class of leaders, as they will be the only ones eligible for Student Body President for the 2022-23 school year. We are fortunate to have three strong 11th-grade representatives this year: Grady Dupree-Isaac, Carolina Sangvai, and Lily Donoway. I had the opportunity to interview them as well, inquiring about why they ran and what they hope to achieve within the club this year.

As a student, Grady shares that he has felt underrepresented himself. He states that “As a student body, we voice our concerns constantly, but our teachers and administrators still undermine us.” One feature of Grady’s plan as a Junior Rep is not only advocating for students, but giving students opportunities to advocate for themselves. He’s striving to “make voting for stuff a regular occurrence.”

Caroline is proud to advocate for the class of 2023, as she believes “it’s important that our class has someone that can represent their opinions.” She wants to make sure that “as many people as possible have a voice here at Jordan”, and she hopes to “give the Junior class as many opportunities as possible to make this year as normal as it can be considering COVID and the necessary precautions.” 

Lily Donoway, somewhat of a dark horse in the Junior Representative race, has a bit of a different outlook on the function of being a representative. In addition to helping Juniors express their needs, she’s also using this as a way to work on some personal issues, such as “honing in on communication and leadership skills that will help me in future endeavors.” When asked of her primary goals for the club, she responded confidently. “I really want to focus on community service this year. We have discussed plans for how we can give back to the community around the holiday season. I look forward to being a part of this.”

While it is easy for hope to be bestowed upon these new leaders, it may be difficult for them to actually be able to achieve their campaign promises. Many candidates took the platform of providing free health products for women in bathrooms, and many of them expressed intent on reforming the dress code. These are just some of the many policies these representatives are bringing to the table, and it’s important that these leaders stay motivated and continue to work on these issues throughout this school year.