Jordan High School Theatre Presents: Hairspray!

On April 11th, 12th, and 13th, the Jordan High School Theatre Department will be putting on their production of Hairspray. An all-student cast, tech crew, and orchestra will look to showcase their hard work and talent in this upbeat and inspiring show.

Hairspray takes place in 1960s Baltimore, Maryland, where segregation still exists in all aspects of society. The show is centered around Tracy Turnblad (Lily Vance), an upbeat high school girl with a big heart. Tracy’s life long dream is to dance on the ever so popular “Corny Collins Show.” Despite the objections of the hard-nosed producer, Velma Von Tussle (Grace Howell), and a female star of the show, Amber (Megan Brinkman), Tracy is noticed by Corny Collins (Simon Hirsch) at a school dance showing off her skills, and is given a spot on the show right there on the spot. Once getting on the show, Tracy quickly falls in love with the teenage heartthrob and “budding young Elvis” Link Larkin (Freddy Stanley). When Tracy is sent to detention and meets Seaweed J. Stubs (Marc Gafoor), she learns some new moves and is puzzled why Seaweed and the other black kids aren’t allowed to dance on the Corny Collins show with the rest of the white kids. With the help of Ms. Motormouth Maybelle (Laiya Parker) and her two quirky but loving parents, Wilber (Joey Stanley) and Edna (Riley Gibson), Tracy continues to fight for the integration of the Corny Collins show. Hairspray tells the story of struggle, perseverance, and acceptance of others while providing the audience with laughs, timeless classics, and a whole lot of dancing.

Tickets will be sold at the door, and are available right now online (https://jhstheater.booktix.com) at $15 for adults and $5 for students. For deaf and hard of hearing students, sign language interpretation will be provided by a team of students and teachers on Friday night.