“Be Loud! Sophie” Benefit Concert Brings People Together

Evan Carlson, Local News Editor

This past Sunday, April 28th, local high schoolers got together to play music at The Cat’s Cradle in support of the “Be Loud! Sophie Foundation.” All of the money raised at this show will go to the foundation, which, according to their website, seeks to “support adolescent and young adult cancer patients and their families at UNC Hospitals,” in the memory and honor of Sophie Steiner.

Eight acts played at the show, and all were eager to give support to the cause they were singing for. The bands that played came from Jordan, East Chapel Hill, Durham Academy, and many other high schools. From XIV Hours, an acapella group from Durham Academy, to Student Health, a high-energy rock band, all kinds of people were represented onstage.  T-shirts were sold, donations were made, and everyone had an awesome time. People in the crowd jumped around to the sound of original music, and from the moment the lights hit the stage, everyone encouraged everyone else with genuine kindness.

“The Be Loud! show means an incredible amount to me as someone who knew Sophie Steiner and knows how much she loved music,” said East Chapel Hill High School Sophomore Louis Van Houtven, the lead singer of Pajama Day and bassist of Red Currency, “I find it inspiring to see young people doing something that Sophie loved to raise money for something she would have wanted.” This sentiment was felt by many who attended the fundraiser.

The “Be Loud! Sophie Foundation” has been providing support to young people battling cancer, funding research, and helping hospitals develop policies that will benefit young cancer patients since its founding in 2014. If you would like to donate to this non-profit organization, visit www.beloudsophie.org to give money or find out about the different ways that you can help out.

Events like this are what make our community stronger, and it shows how a group of high schoolers can make an impact on the lives of many people. “Be Loud! is an incredible organization,” said Van Houtven, “I am honored to be a part of its cause.”