Girls Lacrosse Makes Playoffs for First Time in Program History

Riley Reeves, Sophomore Editor

The Jordan Girls Lacrosse team made the playoffs for the first time in the history of the program. The Falcons faced three-seeded Holly Springs High School (13-5) on Tuesday evening in the first round. The girls played, hard but ultimately ended up losing the game 19-5. The loss to Holly Springs means that the Falcons will not move on in the playoffs.

Senior Captain Eloise Osborne scored one goal in her last ever game for the Falcons. Junior Captain Ellie Mayer and junior Gabi Overcast-Hawks each had one goal as well. Sophomore Lauryn Turner scored twice.

Led by head coach Craig Daye and assistant coach Chip Mayer, the team finished the season with an 8-7 overall record and a 6-4 conference record.

A notable story-line throughout the season was Junior, Ellie Mayer scoring 91 goals in only 13 games. After recently commiting to Bucknell, Mayer’s 91 goals made her the leading scorer in the Triangle-Six Conference, leading the second place finisher by 40 goals. Mayer’s impressive goal tally places her third on the statewide scoring list, just four goals shy of being the leading scorer in the state.

With the season coming to a close, highlights to look back on include two wins against crosstown rival Riverside, and beating Cary High School 19-4 on Senior Night.

The future looks bright for the Lady Falcons program that looks to build off their historic 2019 season. Captian, and leading scorer Ellie Mayer will return along with standout Lauryn Turner. Rising seniors Gabi Overcast-Hawks, Erin McCraw, and Hannah Sauls will be expected to step in to bigger roles in 2020. Everyone surrounding the program was thoroughly impressed with the 2019 season and excited for the future of this up and coming program.