Jordan Baseball Wins Third Consecutive Conference Championship

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kaylin Privette, Staff Writer

After beating non-conference opponent Holly Springs 5-2 on April 29th, the Jordan High School baseball team was ready for the conference championship game against Panther Creek. They had been strong all season with a record of 7-2 in the conference and an overall record of 20-3 going into the conference championship game.

The Falcons knew they would have to put up a strong fight against the Catamounts in order to secure the title of conference champions for the third year in a row. Panther Creek had beaten them 5-0 earlier on in the season, and they were determined to avenge their earlier loss.

“This game was really important for us because it determined who would win the conference and our seeding for the state tournament.” Junior pitcher Luke Hutchinson said, “Going into the game as the starting pitcher, I was just trying to do everything I could to keep my team in the game and give us a chance to win.” 

Panther Creek pitcher Koen Moreno presented the biggest threat to the Falcons, leading the Catamounts to a 2-1 lead at the top of the seventh inning. However, the Falcons soon turned the game around. In the top 7th inning, the Panther Creek pitcher balked, giving Jordan the tying run. With two outs and a man on third, all eyes were on junior Cameron Carrow who was batting for the Falcons. Unphased, Carrow handled the pressure expertly and delivered a beautiful line drive over the first baseman’s head, driving in the runner on third, and securing a 3-2 lead for Jordan. The Falcons held Panther Creek scoreless in the bottom of the 7th inning, securing the win for Jordan.

“It was special to win our third straight conference championship in such an exciting game with such a great group of guys,” said Senior Captain Ben Miller, nostalgic of his years playing for Jordan. The team is sad to see Miller leave the program after such a storied career, but juniors Luke Hutchinson and Ryan Wilson will be expected to continue their strong leadership roles as they approach their Senior year. The team has had an impressive season within the conference, ending with a record of 8-2.

The Falcons now have their eyes set on the playoffs after securing their third straight conference title, and because of their impressive record, the Falcons will likely be a two or three seed in this year’s playoffs. This would give them a home-field advantage through their first few games. The North Carolina High School Athletic Association will release the playoff bracket on May 6th.

The team worked diligently all season, and this victory gave them a boost of energy and a hopeful outlook. Junior Captain Ryan Wilson was very happy with the outcome of the game “[We] were hype af.”