Interviewing Christopher Holliday, The Student With The 36!

Jon Brandenburg

Picture by John Brandenburg

Marc Gafoor, Art Editor

Today I had the pleasure of interviewing Christopher Holliday. He is currently a bit of a celebrity at Jordan, being not only a varsity football player but also scoring a 36 on the ACT and going Twitter viral because of media coverage. While the spotlight is sweet and the attention is focused on just his score, I thought this would be an ideal time to discuss how he got that score, and learn a little more about who he is, without the score attached.

TRANSCRIPT OF INTERVIEW

Marc Gafoor: “Hey there Chris, you know the drill, I already laid out to you, pre-interview, what exactly is going to happen, I’d just like to start out by saying, thank you for being a part of this interview!”

Christopher Holliday: “Thanks for having me Marc, I’m glad to be here.”

MG: “No problem! First, off I’d like to ask, what was your studying process like to achieve that perfect score?”

CH: “My studying process was a mixture of practice exams and tutoring. For about 3-4 months leading up to the test, I would do a practice test and then go over it weekly with a tutor. And honestly, I was blessed to be able to have access to a tutor, which many people at Jordan don’t have the same avenues to access. So having a great support system was also very important to the process.”

MG: “Nicely said, Chris. The next question is, what is your primary motivator for achieving success? Is it a career? College? Family?”

CH: “Well, to be honest, I can’t exactly say where my drive for success comes from. I think it must be inherited, because both my parents were very bright intellectuals. But in all honesty, part of my drive comes from my competitive nature I feel like. I’m an ultra-competitive person on the field and in the classroom. And while I’m not necessarily someone who likes to compare answers or stats, I just like to know that I gave it my all.”

MG: “Often times giving 100% of your effort is what you need to maintain that drive, I get that. Next question is, what’s your opinion on the academic process in our current high school setting, and do you think it’s ideal for situating students for success in the real world?”

CH: “Well kinda like the last question, I think the biggest issue with the academic process as it currently is the competition that we create through standardized testing. Students always feel the need to compare themselves to each other and that leads to students only trying to pass a test. So this has led to many students memorizing information rather than actually learning the information. So while memorizing may be the most effective way to succeed in the current academic society, learning must happen in order to be successful in life and that’s what is truly missing.”

MG: “Insightful thoughts on our education systems! Now for the last question, what is your dream? The ideal image for your future?

CH: “Well, I aspire to attend a four-year college after high school and major in economics. I then would want to go to graduate school to specialize in the sports administration field in order to further my education in that specific direction. The ultimate goal is to work in the sports industry’s business side, because I really enjoy all the aspects of sports and how the money is spent, controlled, and continues to flow throughout the industry”

Marc Gafoor: “Alright, well that just about does it! Thank you again for sitting down through this interview.”

Christopher Holliday: “No problem, really. Glad to do it.”