Warbirds Advance to Second Round of State Playoffs

Back to Article
Back to Article

picture by John Brandenburg

picture by John Brandenburg

picture by John Brandenburg

picture by John Brandenburg

Freddy Stanley, Chief Editor

The Jordan High School Boys lacrosse team advanced to the second round of the NCHSAA Playoffs after beating the Apex Friendship Patriots 12-10 on Friday night. The Falcons outlasted a lightning delay, and eventually outlasted Apex Friendship on their way to a hard fought victory.

The one seeded Falcons got off to a slow start against the wildcard Patriots, going down 1-4 in the first quarter. The slow start didn’t last long for the Falcons, as they went on a scoring streak to tie the game again at four. Going into the half, Jordan trialed 5-4.

The third quarter continued with much of the same for the Falcons, unable to find their offensive rhythm. At the end of the third quarter, the Falcons still trailed by a goal, at 6-7.

The fourth quarter on the other hand, told an entirely different story. In the opening minutes of the final quarter the Falcons finally found their offensive stride, scoring six unanswered goals to take the lead at 12-7. With time running out, Apex Friendship was able to grab back three goals, but it wasn’t enough. The Falcons walked away with a 12-10 victory, enough to earn them a place in the second round of the playoffs.

Friday night’s victory can be attributed to a team effort by the Falcons. On the offensive end, seniors Jack Perry and Yasir Stroud, and sophomore Sam Ferrel each lead the team scoring three goals a piece. In goal, senior Robert Eigenrauch came up with some huge saves for the Falcons, especially in the fourth quarter. Eigenrauch managed 12 saves on 22 shots on goal for the game. The unsung hero for the Falcons was freshman Riley Frankel. Frankel won 12 of his 15 face-off attempts, allowing for the Warbirds to maintain possession in the fourth quarter, and go on their 6-0 scoring run. Although Frankel hadn’t been the Falcons go to man on face-offs for most of the season, he stepped up when it mattered most for the Falcons, allowing them ultimately put the game out of reach.

The Jordan High School lacrosse team will play Apex High School in the second round of the playoffs, as both teams will look to punch their tickets to the state championship quarterfinal. The game will be held at Jordan High School on Tuesday, May 7th, at 7:00 pm.